October 6, 2007

Synergy: Leadership Summit for Women - Final Thoughts

In my effort to finish blogging through the end of the conference, sadly, my battery died. So I decided I would complete the work and offer you my final thoughts on this extraordinary event. I know many of you have watched Flash Point throughout the event, thanks to Rosalie at Ministry to Women Life Purpose Coaching for her reactions.

So what did you miss? Rosie DeRosset presented Thinking Theologically in a Hollywood Mindset. Offering no apologies, she addressed our culture's preoccupation with sexuality and its embrace of the provocative images - and how the church really isn't all that much different from the world in these matters. It was refreshing to hear her speak about how Christian women's magazines, though different in great degree, embrace and promote unhealthy views on appearances.

Other presenters at the conference were Sarah Cunningham, author of Dear Church: Letters from a Disillusioned Generation, and my friend Carolyn Custis James, author of When Life and Beliefs Collide. I highly recommend you read both of these books.

The treat at the end of the conference was to hear Jill Briscoe speak about the Great Commission and - simply - doing the ministry God has called you to, where he has put you. She could not have emphasized more the necessity of the Gospel and the practice of communicating it - no matter what level of eloquence a person may have. No gimmicks, just being Jesus and and sharing what he has done.

If you didn't get to attend Synergy 2007, they offer this conference for women's ministry leaders every 2 years. I wish it were an annual event.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for these snippets, Sarah. I'd love to attend this event sometime.

It was refreshing to hear her speak about how Christian women's magazines, though different in great degree, embrace and promote unhealthy views on appearances.

I'm SO glad to hear this. I agree with her!