September 12, 2006

Grateful to be a part of Flash Point. . .

This is not a mutual admiration society blog - it is rather something like "iron sharpening iron." I met Sarah eighteen months ago when I took a position at The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity. I happen to be a shallow person who judges others by what books are sitting in their book cases. Let's just say that I was blown away by the phenomenal range of titles on her office shelves. I knew we would be friends by virtue of the fact I wanted to borrow quite a few of them. :)
Seriously, we found ourselves discussing authors, theology, our families, theology, my warped world view, theology, and. . . slowly but surely our friendship turned into a mutual mentoring thing.
And while we found out that we both are square pegs when it comes to today's Women's Ministries, we realized that neither one of us had any solutions to the problem of square pegs trying to fit where only round pegs seem to belong. And that bugged the heck outta both of us. So we are on a journey to find and encourage other women who don't easily fit into what Sarah calls "a one size fits all" ministry mindset.
Sarah and I don't agree on everything. In fact some days, we have to agree to disagree. We come from different places on a wide variety of topics. But it's because we don't believe in or practice cookie-cutter Christianity that we have both grown in our personal relationships with God through this friendship.
Now we're looking to invite others into a small community where questions are encouraged and explored. Well, that and friendships of the "sharpening" kind develop.
Anyways, I'm just grateful to be a part of Flash Point.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Welcome aboard!