November 7, 2006

Egg Donor with FrankenOvary

A young Jen, 28 years old, from Cincinatti Ohio is the latest victim of ovarian hyperstimulation. Wanting to donate her eggs to an infertile couple, she has endured long periods of severe pain . Dehydrated, pale, and shakey, she went to the emergency room. Needless to say she never was able to complete the donation, but is also left with an unhealthy, enlarged ovary. Note, this is the SECOND time she has sought to donate, the first time apparently was successful.
So most of you know that I'm an egg donor at the fertility clinic here in Cincinnati. I've donated once before (during tech week for a show no less) and besides being a philanthropic act, it also gave me some extra $$ to attend to bills and such. Well, I decided to do it again and up until last Saturday, everything was going fine. I started to feel blah on Saturday and then around 2 a.m. on Sunday, the blinding pain hit...This time around, no such luck...I ended up calling the physician on call 3 times between 2 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon. I spent the day alternately being curled up on the couch, on the bed, and in a tub of extra warm bathwater. When I called the third time (right after I threw up), the doctor essentially said if the pain is still intense, go to the emergency room...I was dehydrated, pale and shaky, so they put me in a room, hooked up an IV with fluids and drugs and helped me to feel better. The following day, I went to the fertility clinic and the one ovary...was so huge that it was taking up the entire screen. They decided to stop the donation process because they said if I continued, it would only get worse. I ended up taking 3 days off of work as the hormones ebbed away, spending my time either in bed or on the recliner not moving very much. link
Jen may not know the full implications of this procedure until it comes time for her to want to conceive a child of her own. The risk of infertility may seem far off, but I'm pretty confident the risk is not worth it.

The procedure that Jen from Cincinatti opted to go through is the same procedure that women need to undergo to provide eggs for somatic cell nuclear transfer which is by definition, reproductive cloning (inaccurately referred to as therapeutic cloning by the liberal left) . The millions of eggs that are required for this research will require this invasive and painful procedure as evidenced by many personal accounts including Jen from Cincinatti. It is clear that greed and arrogance are what support the pursuit of somatic cell nuclear transfer and embryonic stem cell research, because to expect women to endure this procedure is to disregard them altogether.

No comments: