November 23, 2006

The Will of God Throughout the Year

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thess. 5:17
I experience a great deal of the 'ba humbugs' this time of year. In fact, I am anxious for January 2nd to arrive because that's when everyone returns to their normal ways. They discard the pretense of the holiday season, the obligatory 'merry Christmas' and 'happy holidays,' and replace it with who they choose to be the other 10 months of the year. At this time, the stores go back to stocking paper towels and toilet paper in the aisles that once were home to Christmas ornaments, spray snow, and cosmetic gift sets. Everything goes back to normal.

I know that I fall short of godliness on a daily basis and that sometimes I manifest the superficialness that I so despise - perhaps that's why I despise it so much. So I take 1 Thess. 5:17 as my life verse (whatever that means). If I can rejoice always and frequently worship God through the act of prayer and give thanks in everything - if I can honestly strive for what God's will is for his creation - then I think I have a shot at the sort of honesty that I long for and expect from others during the holiday season. In the meantime, I seek to draw closer to God and shut out the aspects of of the holidays that are the antithesis of godliness.

No comments: