October 16, 2006

Prolife at Rochester Institute of Technology

Last Friday evening I had the opportunity to speak at an Intervarsity event at Rochester Institute of Technology (New York). I can't even begin to express how impressed I am with the outward expression of faith and the bold embrace of the prolife position among the 200 or so students present in the auditorium.

My absolute favorite comment came from a young man during the question/answer period. His name was Vincent (and I hope Vincent manages to stay in touch!) In our group deliberation about times when it might be appropriate for a woman to have an abortion (in my worldview, those times don't exist), some questioned whether rape or incest might be appropriate times. Vincent's response to that was very much in line with our current administration - a preemptive strike! As he pondered out loud how we might educate men on how to treat and respect women, he very eloquently blurted out, "Men shouldn't be raping women!"

I was pleased to see this very informed, young, and introspective Christian community existing at RIT. For any of you who stumble upon this blog, my prayers are with you as you grow in wisdom and knowledge and move into the next phase of your lives.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Glad to hear such a great report!

CanuckedBrit said...

But men do and always have. You can lessen those numbers. But it's going to continue happening for a very long time. So what do you propose for those victims? "Get over it?"